Saturday, February 28, 2009

Reset Hard Drive Size

I've been helping my good friend through an issue where a newly purchased 150Gb hard drive is only showing 80Gb after using Norton Ghost to copy data from a dying 80Gb hard drive.

Even after formatting the entire drive, it still only showed up as 80Gb - even on other computers.

After doing some searching on the net we realised that the "Ultimate Boot CD" had a utility on it called HDAT2 that could reset the size of the hard drive to its original size.

The first question in HDAT2's online FAQ deals with resetting the size of your hard drive to its default using this utility.

Very useful if you ever get stuck like this!

On a side note, the BIOS on Dell's laptops are crippled! The only thing you can change in them is the boot sequence! Argh.

5 comments:

  1. I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


    Sarah

    http://laptopseries.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sarah, I'm glad you like it!

    I'll try and blog more often. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm having the same problem. Every hard drive I put into this person's Dell Latitude notebook keeps getting resized to the original size. I thought it was just a defective hard drive the first time around, but after experiencing the same result, I think Dell Latitude 6400's are locked into a specific drive size. Every drive put into the computer gets resized to the original drive size!

    When I asked online about it, people thought I was just talking about partition growing after the clone process, not the actual LBA maximum size of the drive.

    Did you learn any other information that might be useful here?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent and informative blog. Thanks for posting this. It’s informative and enlightening. Keep up the good work. Formatting Hard Drive

    ReplyDelete